The capital city of the United States, Home to the White house, Washington Monument and the most famous collection of museums in the world, the Smithsonian. Washington DC is far from the largest City in America but it certainly has enough to entertain for days. What’s more with almost everything centered around the National Mall and parks.
That’s why we love Washington as a tourist destination, it makes the most perfect city break and by far the most relaxed one you will ever experience guaranteed. There’s no need to worry about tube maps, Tram networks, Bus timetables etc. Everything is literally in within walking distance from one another and walk you should. Aside from the parks, monuments and huge capital and congress buildings the streets are lined with some of the most stunning architecture in the united states.
The atmosphere in the Capital is unhurried by comparison to other capital cities around the globe. The pavements are wide and pedestrians are well catered for, food stops and refreshments are available around every corner from street sellers. You would certainly be heard pressed even at the busiest of periods to feel crowded and rushed.
So what do we recommend you see? Well of course the White house and the monuments are must do items. To the left and right of the National mall the Smithsonian dominates and visits to every one of the themed buildings including the Smithsonian national air and space museum, Smithsonian national museum of natural history and the Smithsonian National museum of American history will be time well spent. For something a little more relaxed a paddle around the tidal basin of the Potomac river in a peddle boat whilst being over looked by the Thomas Jefferson Memorial is the perfect way to enjoy a sunny afternoon.
The majority of Hotels and accommodation and the most convenient is located just north and east of the white house with the majority of large chains having multiple hotels in the area. Smaller boutique hotels are also plentiful with many along Rhode Island Ave area these can often be a more unique and personal alternative.
Shopping in the capital is certainly not the main focus although it has plenty should you need a little retail therapy. Large stores like Macy’s, Barns & Noble, American Apparel, H &M and Forever 21 are located in the area between E through G St NW and 10th though 14th St NW.
There are restaurants literally everywhere and you will be truly spoiled for choice with just about every restaurant chain in the United states represented in multiple locations including Fudruckers, Five Guys and of course McDonald’s and Starbucks. Before you step in the know and safe option seriously consider one of the independent restaurants. Washington DC has one of the largest concentrations of independent restaurants outside of New-York city and you would be missing out if you don’t discover what may become your new favorite dinning establishment. If your in the area north of Constitution Avenue you wont have to look far for somewhere to eat, choosing where will be by far the hardest task.
Top Attractions and points of interest in Washington DC:
- China Town – Located north of the Verizon Center.
- White house.
- Capital Building.
- Washington Monument.
- City Bus tours.
- Lincoln Memorial.
Top Hotels in Washington DC:
- Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC – Georgetown.
- JW Marriot Hotel Washington DC – 14th St NW, Pennsylvania Ave
- Sofitel Lafayette Square Washington DC – White House.
- Grand Hyatt Washington – H St Nw, China Town.
- Willard Intercontinental Washington – White House.
Transport Links and Airports in and around Washington DC:
- Washington Dulles Airport – IAD – I-66, Dulles Access Rd 267.
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport – DCA – I-395.
- I-95 North and South.
- Union Station Washington – MARC.
Related Travelammo Articles:
- Tanger Outlet Locations Tanger Outlets is one of North Americas largest designer outlet shopping village chains. With locations all over the USA and a few in Canada. Many locations have over 100 stores representing some of the biggest names in global fashion, home wares and sporting goods. Prices ...
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo – Washington DC Located just a few miles from the usual tourist hot spots in Washington D.C, like the white house and the capital building, there is the perfect addition to any trip to the DC area, the Smithsonian National Zoo. Not only does ...
- Take in the east coast of the USA – Drive I-95 When holiday makers dream of a road trip in america, route 66 is usually the first hing that comes to mind. Although of course this is one of the most famous tourist drives in the United States, holidays makers planning ...