Vacationing in Orlando spending two weeks in the theme parks may on the face of it seem like the perfect holiday, often more so for the children in the group than the adults. What most people fail to do is take that rental car they spent so much on and explore further afield.
With so much in reach within a short drive it really is a must to get out of the city. The kids will never forget a day at one of the nearby beaches or a blast though the water looking out for alligators with an air boat ride. Of course this is also the perfect excuse for the adults in the group to relax a little.
Our personal recommendation is to at least hit one of the larger state parks like Fort De Soto located 2hrs away just south of Clearwater. State parks often are extremely inexpensive days out with fabulous amenities, the best beaches and what can beat kayaking around the mangroves then back to the shade of the trees to have a BBQ.
Lets not forget, the chances are you have spent a decent amount of your hard earned money on this trip, probably spent many hours travelling here and to not spend a few days exploring some of the great beaches, sights and city’s that Florida has to offer is a waste of an opportunity.
So lets list some ideas of whats within various drives of Orlando:
Within 30 to 60 minutes drive of Orlando:
- Boggy Creek Airboat rides. – One of the most popular Air Boat tours within easy reach of Orlando’s theme parks.
- NASA Visitor Center – Who wants to be an astronaut? everybody were sure. The NASA visitor center at Cape Canaveral offers the ultimate space experience on the planet, at least without leaving earth.
- Cocoa Beach – Right at the end of the beach-line express way, this is the easiest of beaches to get to if you do not fancy a long drive.
- Kissimmiee Rodeo – A great evening out soaking up the atmosphere of the rodeo in the open air, always a great show.
Within 1hr – 2hrs drive of Orlando:
- Fort De Soto State Park – Vast state park south of Clearwater with miles of white sand beaches, clear waters, kayak rentals and more.
- Clearwater Beach – Everyone has heard of Clearwater Beach, with good reason, not only is the place one of Florida’s best but its also super family friendly.
- Cyrstal River State Park – State park with as the name suggests gin clear spring water streams offer tubing adventures and more.
- Daytona Beach – Another of Florida’s famous beaches and the best bit, you park on the beach, perfect for a family beach day.
- Daytona Speedway – One of Americas most famous Opal speedway tracks, hosts tours and check out race dates for the ultimate day out.
For a little longer adventure or an over night stay away from Orlando you could try the following:
- Everglades Safari park and air boats
- Fort Lauderdale
Other articles that may be of interest:
- NASA – Kennedy Space Center – Florida The wonder of exploring the universe and space flight is something that never fails to intrigue everyone. You can guarantee that no matter what age or gender this statement is true, and the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex is about the ...
- Tanger Outlet Locations Tanger Outlets is one of North Americas largest designer outlet shopping village chains. With locations all over the USA and a few in Canada. Many locations have over 100 stores representing some of the biggest names in global fashion, home wares and sporting goods. Prices ...
- Guide to Bahia honda state park-Florida Keys Located on on the overseas highway right in the heart of the Florida Keys, Bahia Honda is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the true beauty the keys has to offer. The park is surrounded by award winning beaches both on the ...
- Fort De Soto park – Florida USA Covering 1,136 acres and boasting over 3 miles of pristine coral white gently slopped beaches, acres of mangroves, historic fort and
- Clearwater Beach Visitor Guide – Florida Clearwater beach located on the west coast of Florida is one of Americas finest beach resorts. The soft sand beaches, warm waters and quality of the amenities have lead to Clearwater being ranked as one of Florida’s best beaches time ...
- Tarpon Feeding at Robbies Marina – Florida Keys One of the Florida Keys most popular attractions, Robbies Marina is a must stop off on your journey on, off or along the keys. Located in Islamorada Robbie’s is home to the long time world famous opportunity to hand feed Tarpon. Yes ...
- Everglades Safari Park – Florida Airboat Tours, Alligators and the Everglades. These three things are synonymous with Florida and probably on many a visitors to do list. Well, if your looking to tick these off whilst tagging on some food and a days adventure to ...
- Eating Out in Key West Key West is famous for being the origin of the Key Lime Pie and Conch Fritters but did you know it offers so much more than that. Eating out is a big deal in Key West both before and after ...
- Whats the best beach in Key West – Florida With a over a million tourists visiting Key West every year one of the most common questions is which is the best beach to visit whilst in Key West. As the majority of visitors to Key west are only in town ...
- Hilton Orlando Review The Hilton Orlando Resort is situated at the lower end of International Drive is perfectly located within walking distance of all of the nightlight and restaurants along International drive and only 2 minutes drive to Seaworld Orlando, Aquatica Water Park ...