North of Buffalo in the state of New York Niagara falls is probably New York states second most visited city with only New York, New York attracting more visitors annually.
Probably the most important area of concern of any visitor wanting to view the falls would be a trip to Goat Island. This is about the closest you can get to the falls and the most friendly and accessible destination wishing to cross Niagara falls of their bucket list whilst remaining in America.
Goat Island is free to enter and the breath taking views up close to falls, the hikes, trails and wildlife are all free also. There are a range of activities on the island for which an admission fee is payable including the not to be missed Cave of the Winds. Package tickets can be brought which offer entrance to the cave, Maid of the mist tours and other attractions for around $38 US at the time of writing.
You will here the statement ” but the view is better from the Canadian side” all the time. Ok, so from land you could argue this is true. Niagara Falls New York though offers by far the best alternatives, its the home of the world famous Maid of the Mist tours which cant be beaten for getting up real close and feeling the power of the falls and getting wet of coarse. If you don’t wish to get on the water but fancy the thrill of walking out onto a viewing platform high above American falls then this is well worth a stroll through the state park, next to the Rainbow Bridge crossing.
The city of Niagara falls, whilst not like its tourist center Canadian counterpart, is in the main much like any other American city, there is plentiful restaurants and entertainment close to the falls and with some hotels well located near to the state parks and a shopping mall not far from the hotels there is plenty on offer when not admiring the falls. The city also has a Casio located within the Seneca Niagara Resort a short walk for the biggest hotels in the area.
Transport around the tourist area and deeper into Niagara falls is provided for with a hop on-off Trolley service which if buying an explorer pass from the falls is included in the price. Regular buss services are available and the city also has to the east The Niagara Falls International Airport ( IAG ).
If your visiting Niagara Falls by car then driving times and distances are approximately:
- From Buffalo NY 25 miles /36 Minutes
- From Rochester NY 88 Miles / 1 hour 36 Minutes
- From New York NY 410 Miles / 6 hour 30 Minutes
Niagara facts and figures:
- Over 163,000,000 Litres flow over the falls at peak times.
- Used for Hydro-Electric power generation to over 160,000 homes.
- Directly on the border between Canada and the USA.
- Last estimates expected 30 million visitors annually.
- Home to the famous Maid of the Mist.
Travelammo New York related Articles:
- Niagara Falls – Which is the best side to visit – USA or Canada One of the most common questions asked be people wanting to or planning to visit Niagara Falls is which side is it best viewed from, USA or Canada. Whilst we are not going to directly tell you which side you should ...
- Guide to I-95 Rest Areas, Service Areas and Welcome Centers I-95 is approximately 1850 miles in length and for anyone driving long sections of the Interstate might need to take a break, fill up with Gas or grab something to eat. I-95 like many Interstates has a good selection of rest ...
- Take in the east coast of the USA – Drive I-95 When holiday makers dream of a road trip in america, route 66 is usually the first hing that comes to mind. Although of course this is one of the most famous tourist drives in the United States, holidays makers planning ...
- Tanger Outlet Locations Tanger Outlets is one of North Americas largest designer outlet shopping village chains. With locations all over the USA and a few in Canada. Many locations have over 100 stores representing some of the biggest names in global fashion, home wares and sporting goods. Prices ...