Key West is famous for being the origin of the Key Lime Pie and Conch Fritters but did you know it offers so much more than that. Eating out is a big deal in Key West both before and after sunset and there is something available to suit all taste Buds.
Being close to the Caribbean and having somewhat of a close association historically with its closest neighbors like Cuba this is heavily reflected in its food culture also. If fact most food regarded as being local and native to Key West is of Cuban descendancy. As much as the Conch Fritters may be high on your list of must try delicacies be sure to add an authentic Cuban Sandwich to your list.
The Old Town in Key West is littered with small kitchen sellers and restaurants selling authentic Cuban dishes, Sandwiches and drinks and you will never be short of somewhere to grab a snack. Prices are reasonable and $10 will often get you a good lunch time fill and a refreshing drink.
Duval Street, the main tourist hub in Key west is lined with restaurants, bars and cafes and is probably the first stop for most looking for food. Although Duval St is the location for the big name and well know bars and restaurants like the Gas Monkey Bar and Grill, Senor Frogs Key West, Sloppy Joe`s and Hard Rock Cafe, you will often find something a little more locally sourced at some of the other restaurants on offer.
Highly rated bars, cafes and restaurants in Key West:
- Amigos Tortilla Bar – Greene and Duval st. Great quality fresh Mexican and Cuban food with dinning both inside and out.
- Bagatelle – Duval St – Offers local food with outside eating terrace located in an original Key West town house.
- Juan Loves Lucy – Duval St. Authentic Cuban food served up and cooked by Cubans. Highly rated service in a small off street relaxed and casual location. Also serves top quality Mojitos.
- Caroline`s Cafe – Duval St. A small family run cafe serving up American dishes made with fresh local produce. Perfect for families and light lunch’s.
- Key West Key Lime Pie Co – Greene St and Ann St. Serving up some of Key Wests finest and original Key lime pie. They are not small portions either.
- Conch Republic Seafood Company – A&B Marina Greene St. Top quality seafood- lively atmosphere with a large menu the restaurant is packed almost every hour its open. Location and seating overlooking the Marina is second to none.
- A&B Lobster House – A&B Marina Front St. Great restaurant for fresh local and American seafood dishes. Located in the picture perfect marina location for a special evening dinner.
- El Meson de Pepe – Mallory Square, Wall St. Great tasting full table service Cuban restaurant with a lively feel with often live music and welcoming staff.
- Kermits Kitchen Key West Key Lime Pie Shoppe – Duval St. Shop and cafe selling everything and anything that could possible be Key Lime flavored including the traditional pie. Bit of a tourist trap for souvenirs but popularity is deserved.
- Blackfin Bistro – Duval St. Might not look to great from the street but do not let this put you off. This place serves up some of the most highly rated dishes in Key West with friendly service.
- The Salty Angler – Duval St. Simple, well though out menu serving up some interesting but fantastic food combinations as well as traditional dishes. No one in the family will be disappointed here.
- Southernmost Beach Bar – Southernmost Beach. Beach front cafe serving up a decent range of local and international snacks and light meals. Good range of drinks available.
So there we have a selection of Key Wests favorite eating places but of course there is so so much more on offer around every corner and if your just looking for a quick bite or something more familiar then outside of the main old town you will find the usual Domino’s Pizza, Wendy’s, Denny’s, Outback Steakhouse, Miami Subs and Baskin Robbins Etc.
Looking for more information on Key West, Check out some of our other Key West related articles:
- Key Wests best beaches guide
- Key West Guide
- Fort Zachary Taylor State Park.
Florida Keys Related Articles: